Friday, May 6, 2011

Project 365: Day 91 - Kaldor Draigo - Grey Knight WIP

Jeff asked me to paint his Grey Knight character Kaldor Draigo. Seeing as this is a figure I haven't painted before I jumped on the opportunity.

From the message boards that I've visited, a lot of folks prefer to work with plastic rather than metals. Some people had very strong opinions about this and I found it a bit odd. I started out in the hobby working with Privateer Press metals  and aside from the usual bent shafts and pinning I really didn't see a lof of trouble with metals to warrant such a reaction from folks.

I then realized that it may be because these folks were exposed to GW metal figures instead.

The figure itself is very ornate and looks like a fun test of skill, albeit a bit cluttered and busy in parts

As i started cataloging the items I started noticing some of the things I'll have to fix as I go alone. here you'll notice the heavy pitting on the cloth. This will have to be milliput slurried smooth
Heavy pitting on the back cloth as well
A huge tab on the shield that will be very dangerous to cut with a craft knife. I wish I had a jeweler's saw...
Another huge tab. GW must charge for the weight of the metal...
Now this is what really ticked me off. I thought the top of the banner had a very tall decoration but as i looked at it more and compared it with the GW pic I noticed I was staring at another honking tab!
The tab was thicker than the actual part!
Aside from that I also noticed these huge vent spikes all over the fig... I have pictures of them in different places but after literally the 15th one, I decided to give up taking pictures of them. The sad part here is that there are probably a few others I've missed that will show up AFTER I prime the figure

This has to be the worst though. The tip of the sword was miscast. Now I've heard of good things from GW customer service and I could get this replaced but thats just way too much trouble and time on my part. I'm better off filing this thing to shape.

The mess of tabs and vents werent the worst of it though. GW metal is significantly harder than Privateer metals and as a result, drilling was a lot more tedious and carpal tunnel -inducing. I'm normally a careful driller (I still have small drillbits from about 2 years ago) and I snapped 3 of my good drillbits on this fig alone :p. Ick.

I did manage to assemble the sucker and I'll be posting on his progress over the next few days.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment