Monday, March 7, 2011

Project 365: Day 59 - Kaya Rebirth - WIP Part 1

After Kaya's  brakefluid bath the paint sloughed off beautifully. Unfortunately the brakefluid deformed the base. This was the first time I experienced brakefluid deforming plastic bases after stripping quite a few figs so that came as a surprise. Fortunately I was able to find a spare.

As I was cleaning the fig I started noticing the moldlines and pitting in the metal that I was not able to take care of before. I'm going to take my time with this fig and try to "level up" my skill so I'm going to try a trick I read about: The Milliput cream

I dissolved a small amount of mixed milliput into a cream that I could paint on the fig. I used an old brush for this as the putty will probably ruin a good brush
I painted the cream on the areas I need smooth. The Kaya fig was well-cast but there was some pitting that sanding and filing cant fix. The milliput cream will fill in those pits and sanding will leave an ultrasmooth finish.
The milliput cream after drying. I also did the inside area of the cape.

The milliput cream filled in the pits and scratches beautifully and sanded well after it was fully dry. One thing to watch out for is that the cream can fill in and obscure detail so make sure you're carefull applying the cream. If you accidentally paint over detail wipe the cream off immediately with a wet q-tip and a needle if necessary.

Go to Part 2

2 comments:

  1. nice! anong grade ng milliput gamit mo? tsaka gaano kadaming tubig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fine lang and tantyahan lang ng tubig hanggang maging cream

    ReplyDelete