Friday, May 6, 2011

Project 365: Day 90 - New Primer on Borka Kegslayer

I was in Ace Hardware in Virramall last weekend to kill time. I wandered over to the paint section and decided to try out a new white primer as I wasnt totally happy with the one I have.

I eventually settled on this:

RJ London Anti Corrosion Primer - Flat White. Blurred pic courtesy of using a pinvice for hours.
I used to use the Bosny Flourscent Flat White spray paint. It was a very flat white but I found the finish a tad grainy for my tastes, and as indicated, it wasn't really primer. RJ London manufactures Bosny and I trust them enough to try out their Anti Corrosion Primer line. It specifically states that its a metal primer so I was hoping for better adhesion and a level of "chip-proof" versus the Bosny Flourescent. The can set me back 150.00 and I'm sure you can get a better deal at your local hardware store if you can find it.

Knowing I'm trying out something I wasn't familiar with, I made sure to use the Hot Water technique before I started spraying.

The man, err Trollkin, in bare metal

I decided to use it on Borka kegslayer, whos been sitting on my desk for quite some time. After dusting off the fig and getting the hot water ready, I got down to business.


I noticed immediately that the spray nozzle was very different from the Bosny line. I prefer the wider nozzle caps as it was a lot more comfortable to use. The RJ london nozzle was a bit too narrow and felt like it was going to pop off as it tilted forward when I pressed down.

Spray-wise though the Anti Corrosion Primer dusted well enough but produced a graininess that was the same as the Bosny Flourescent. I was a bit worried at first but decided to go for a thicker coat to see if this helps.

Borka after a couple of coats. Sprayed a bit thick to compensate for the initial grainyness but overall the paint shrank better than the Bosny Flourescent. White was very flat on initial dustin but got a bit more "satin" as I sprayed on
Closeup of the primer texture. I think I may have oversprayed but all in all I dont think this is bad at all
Overall, I like the new primer so far. The paint seems to be a bit more chip resistant (at least it didn't chip off easily when I used my thumbnail). What's off-putting though is the initial grainyness on the spray even with the hot water technique which is the same problem I had with my other white spray. I guess its a characteristic white sprays have to ensure opacity. I did learn though that going for a thicker oat cuts down the grain significantly but does compromise the flatness

I may test some other white primers later on.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am new to customizing vinyl toys. I was looking for Bosny's Epoxy primer but settled with RJ's anti corrosion primer. Would you recommend using this on a vinyl toy instead of gesso? I'm afraid that it might melt it.hehe Sorry, I have no idea about this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont have experience with gesso and vinyl though i would expect Vinyl to be a lot less reactive.

    i do know that some primers are specifically designed for plastics like Do-It brands so you might want to look at that

    I suggest testing any primer on the underside of the model, about 5-8 inches away. dust lightly and build up layers. if it doesnt react youre good to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried it already and it worked perfectly.:) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete