Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Project 365: Day 32 - Painting Miniatures - Spacewolves WIP

Getting some painting commitments out of the way and getting a blog post to boot. Sweet!

Here are some of Felix's Spacewolves after their initial drybrushing and basecoats on black primer. This is strictly tabeltop so no fancy tricks just some good old fashioned elbow grease.

" In hindsight", Baldir said;"'Cutting your hair with a chainsword was a bad idea..."

When painting whole squads of figures I usually try to do them assembly line style. I start with drybrushing the metals down, in this case the golds (P3 Rhulic Gold) and the iron (Mix of P3 Radiant Platinum and Thamar Black). I also drybrushed the resin bases with a progression of Citadel Bestial Brown, Citadel Bubonic Brown and P3 Ryn Flesh.

With the messy drybrushing done I then worked on the basecoats. The heads were done with straight GW Bestial Brown and since I was working on "new school" 'wolves the power armor was done with GW Shadow Grey.

You'll notice I dont try to cover every nook and cranny on the model. This serves several purposes. First, its a shortcut so I get to paint a lot of figs in a short time. Second, if you prime black and you pick your strokes strategically youll be able to outline between armor panels and give some starting shadows just by not painting over the primer.

I keep in mind that when aiming for tabletop quality that youll be seeing the figures 3 feet away from you at an angle, so missing the undersides and corners wont really matter. I just remember to neaten up places that will be seen and be prominent.

For the folks who are Painting Obsessive-compulsives, this may seem like a grave sin but it works for me and my client.

Now he looks like a dwarf slayer!
By the way, since a lot of the heads were identical I decided to sculpt some additional features on them like beardy here. Generally, I cant sculpt a damn but fur and hair is doable for me. I added the greenstuff before i primed.

All in all it took me about 2 hours to get 10 marines from primer to this point. I should be able to wrap them up in a couple more days with some more basecoats and some simple highlights so stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment