Monday, June 20, 2011

Project 365: Day 119 - CTA 2011 vs Mangsky

Final opponent of the day: Mangsky, our friendly neighborhood Warmachine/Hordes Crack-dealer. :D. He was playing with The Harbinger of Menoth. Keeping in mind that fluff-wise, the Harbinger is  a floating female teenager, that sentence sounded so much dirtier in my mind.

Scenario: Overrun
Sorry for the blurry pic. This was literally the last game for the day as the rest of the gang left for home, leaving me and Mang to duke it out.

I went with a beast-heavy Epic Kaya list that I was a lot more comfortable with.

There was a moment where I thought I could have actually won this game early on. Mangsky placed Harbinger far forward with no models screening and by my estimates I had a good chance of landing a Pureblood spray, a charging Warpwolf stalker and a Kaya-Laris Assassination run on the warcaster. The thing that made me hesitate was that Mang activated Harbinger's feat and the Harbinger herself was camping on focus, giving her a total of 20 armor. A small nagging voice urged me to pull the trigger...

I decided that if the Pureblood's spray landed,I'd bite the bullet. Predictably enough I missed and decided to play conservatively afterwards.

What followed next was a few turns of Mangksy methodically taking my army apart piece by piece and ending Kaya with an attack from the Avatar or Menoth.

With 3 straight losses I am now officially "The Bonus Round" for this league. The league isn't done yet but I can safely kiss my chances at the top 4 goodbye :)

Being utterly outclassed in every which way does leave you with a lot of lessons though. And what sweetens the bitter medicine of humility and learning is that the lessons were taught by friends and peers while playing a game. :) I had fun and I hope my opponents had fun taking me down as well.

Thank you sirs!

As for the other folks I have not gone against, I WILL be taking my pound of flesh.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment