Sunday, March 20, 2011

Project 365: Day 65 - Skinwalker WIP

Some drybrush work on stuff.

The Circle Orboros Warpborn Skinwalker Unit Leader. I have two units of these guys and I was just lucky that they figure into the eKaya Tier List. I really didn't care about their rules (they're okay, if a bit vanilla. They do provide a much needed brick wall though), I just couldn't pass up werewolves in armor with halberds.

Kim asked me once why I do the metallics first. It's more about the paint than any other reason. Metallic paint doesn't flow as well as other acrylics. In order to have a solid metal coat I find that either drybrush the paint on or apply it in thicker layers than I'm comfortable with. Thin coats don't necessarily mean good flow either. Worse is if you thin it enough or use a medium you run the risk of getting a "glitter effect" or have the metal pigment gather into corners and dull the detail.

Drybrushing allows a good, thin solid coat of metallic paint. Downside here is that it tends to be messy so I do it prior to everything else.


I do several passes of gold (GW or P3, usually a mix) and touch up with GW Chaos Black on the non metallic parts. Chaos black is essential as it is the mattest black I've seen so far while still being thin and offering good coverage. I wish P3's black was more like Chaos Black but it has a more satin finish. I usually just use P3 Thamar Black for mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment