Saturday, January 1, 2011

Project 365: Day 1 - Painting Miniatures

Starting off Project 365 with one of my more recent hobbies.

I've been playing miniature wargames for about 2 years now and I have to say, one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me is painting the miniatures :)

Most of the hobbies I indulge in have a big artistic element to them. I like things that look "cool" to me. In comic books I usually look at the art first and the story second. While I appreciate a good story, I find myself going over my old comic books just to study and appreciate the art. In video games, I actually spend time "sightseeing" and taking in the visual elements, usually to my detriment as I usually get shot at or killed in the process of gawking at how the digital light hits the pixel leaves. Even when it comes to books, the authors I am fond of all have in common the ability to vividly paint a world and characters in my mind's eye.

It's no surprise then when I found about miniature or tabletop wargaming, assembling and painting your own models was a big draw for me. I enjoy the process as much, or even more than playing the games themselves at times.

Starting out wasn't easy. Aside from the costs involved, painting on canvas (which I was never good at) is entirely different than painting on a small pewter figurine. There was a lot of trial and error involved. Cramped hands and strained eyes were part of the process. But then I started learning, practical experience mixed with research and tips from other enthusiasts. Slowly I found myself gaining confidence and skill. Enough to actually fund my hobbies by painting for other folks :)

In 2011 I want to see how far I can push myself . I want to perfect blending and color theory. I want to master Object Source Lighting. I want to see if i can get good enough to compete locally, or who knows, maybe even internationally. A guy can dream right?

In this blog you'll see my projects, maybe some articles on how I do things. Mostly though the blog is going to serve as a way to keep myself motivated and get feedback for my work :)

Below are some figures from my Trollblood army, namely my warlock Madrak Ironhide, a DireTroll Mauler and a Fellcaller. All figures are from Privateer Press' Hordes line.

- as a side effect of painting minis and this blog, I realized that I need to learn how to take better pictures. I guess I'll be adding macro photography to my list of hobbies in the future :p






1 comment:

  1. I've seen these up close and played against them. Phenomenal work!

    ReplyDelete