Saturday, January 22, 2011

Project 365: Day 22 - Food! Uncle Moe's Shawarma Hub

Roxane and I had brunch at Uncle Moe's Shawarma Hub today :D I spent the entire day awake AFTER a full shift at work so that explains the lateness of this post.

Uncle Moe's Shawarma Hub is located in United Street in Kapitolyo Pasig. It seems the area is about to be heavily developed over the next few years so this location is a good choice for whoever owns the joint. if the name hasn't given it away the place serves shawarmas (is it redundant to say shawarma wraps? I think so) and other persian and mediterrainean inspired fare. Far from authentic, they have adjusted the food to fit more to the local palette.

I first heard about Uncle Moe's  from Joyce (my boss and my big sis in the office) and the place came highly recommended. She even went as far to tell me to try one particular dish (more on that later) and to avoid making the mistake of not getting that dish the first time I visit. Now there are two people I trust completely when it comes to food recommendations, one of them would be my actual biological sister Kristina and the other would be Joyce. I then planned my weekend around this trip (me and Roxane were previously going to hunt down the Ortigas branch of Mister Kabab)and set off to finding the place.

I'm not going to write stuff about the ambience and decor of the place as per food blogging 101. I'm the type of guy who would eat standing up at a street corner and STILL give the place full points if the food was good enough. And of course if they were clean enough. So long story short, place was serviceable and clean and thats good enough for me.

We tried the Kofta Balls stuffed with cheese as recommended. I immediately ordered two plates and extra bread for us. The food took some time to get to the table though for some reason even though we were the only ones in the place. We arrived at close to lunchtime so I guess most of their customers come around after office hours.

Meatballs with gooey Quickmelty goodness

After about fifteen minutes, two steaming plates of meatballs arrived. At first we were surprised at the size of the servings and thought we were going to bring home one of the plates untouched. For about 150 bucks you get 5 stuffed meatballs in sauce with a piece of pita. The meatballs arent the italian sized monsters that you would probably encounter elsewhere (god that sounded less dirty in my head than writing down).

The Kofta balls are good :) not of the "mindblowing this is the best" type of good but its certainly what I would call "happy food". It's the type of thing youd get when you're tired from work and you just want to unwind and get some good grub, nothing fancy nothing complex, just straight out good. Happy food. Can't go wrong with meat, cheese and bread :)

The other thing to note here is that even with two servings, Roxane and I polished off two plates and 3 pitas each. Now keep in mind that we are both big eaters (and I skipped breakfast)  but the meatballs were surprisingly "light". If  you've encountered Sbarro or Yellow Cab meatballs Id categorize those as "dense and heavy" meatballs. Me and Roxane finished off 5 each and weren't bloaty afterwards.

The pita bread were a bit weird though. They were a bit doughier and stretchier than I'm used to having , almost coming off as undercooked. Espasol-ish. One thing I can say is that is a hint that they're not using old bread.

Overall I'm definitely coming back to Uncle Moe's for some solid "Happy Food".

Maybe I'll ask them to heat the pitas a bit longer next time.

Nums!


(bad writing and parenthetical remarks abound!)

No comments:

Post a Comment