Monday, January 10, 2011

Project 365: Day 11 - Miniatures - Assembling Megalith Part 3

Check out  Part 1 and Part 2

Greenstuff-a-go-go!

So last stretch of assembly and this probably involved more greenstuff than I have worked it to date. Since I had to reposition the arms I had to replicate the "wood" sculpt on the shoulder joint to cover up the flat mating point of the original sculpt.

Again this was easier than I had anticipated. Using an Xacto knife lubed with petroleum jelly I was able to texture the greenstuff into a good approximation of the bark. I was also able to copy the sculpting of the rope by starting with putty sausages. And no, I did not sculpt with my drill bit :P

Once that was dry I pinned the arms into the shoulders at an angle seen below:

Come at me bro!
I think I managed to repose the arms into a less awkward pose and more of a "welcome to the gun show" pose. I felt this helped emphasize his size more. Anyhoo feel free to let me know what you think. At this point though I wasnt done with him. I had to replace the dinky shrub on his back with something more befitting a character woldwarden.

I took some wire and some of my paperclips. With a little twisting and bending I had the beginnings of an armature for his tree. After attaching it to Megalith via the pinhole in his back I them repositioned the branches till I was happy with how they were placed and started wrapping greenstuff around the armature to make it look like bark.

While wrapping the armature in greenstuff I had some problems with the putty shifting and moving in ways I didnt want it to. In hindsight, I couldve made my life a lot easier by smearing superglue to the armature and letting it dry and thus giving the greenstuff a rougher surface to cling on.

Here's the final assembled Megalith. I really wish i took more backshots of him because I had to sculpt the tree into his torso in a way that made it look like the tree was sprouting from him, like it was a part of him.

This is what happens when you swallow seeds...

One other regret I had with this is I wish I had also taken pics of megalith during the painting stage. I will be posting a pic of Megalith painted in the future. That should be the first thing i do once i find my charger or secure another digicam.

Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Nice!! Really glad to see all the step by step with really good hi-rez photos. I've been trying to find something like this, as i also hate the stock pose, but have been too scared to start cutting and hacking without a SURE plan beforehand. This helps immensely!!

    ReplyDelete