Sunday, January 9, 2011

Project 365: Day 10 - Miniatures - Assembling Megalith Part 2

From the ground up :)

if you haven't yet, please check out Part 1

I like my warbeasts to be on a scenic base as this makes an already large warbeast all the more impressive. During the dryfitting stage for my large warbeasts I take the base into account for the final pose. My material of choice is cork :) specifically cork board. I like cork because it's easy to work with, letting you carve, cut and tear it into natural looking shapes that look like convincing scale rock when painted.


A medium base, a large base some corkboard and an Xacto knife. Pay no attention to the stray hair. I command it!

One thing I noticed is that a medium base fits onto a large base almost perfectly. I used the medium base as a template and scored into the board with an Xacto knife. I didnt cut all the way through so I can get a slightly ragged edge. Viola!

During the dry-fitting stage I noticed the gap in Megalith's torso. After scoring the mating areas with an Xacto knife I then lined it with greenstuff.


I used some petroleum jelly on the end of my brush as a smoothing tool


I also attached the legs. The sculptors were kind enough to have the legs attach to posts like an action figure but this made some new problems as just attaching the legs would make it pivot. To fix this i put in a little greenstuff for the legs to stick to


Any excess greenstuff was either trimmed off or sculpted like vines

Once the bond was solid I attached the head with some greenstuff and angled it so that Megalith was looking slightly to the side


Once everything was dry I started drilling my pinning holes. Those were located on the foot, Megalith's back where the twig was supposed to be and finally under the shoulders. The shoulders had tabs where the arms were supposed to slot into. i wouldnt be needing those so I had to slice and file them off. It was easier than I expected. Just remember to cut away from you at all times. With the plan I had in mind I decided to drill into an angle into the shoulder


I then also drilled straight through the base and cork to fit a paperclip through. I used a fairly large paperclip that I roughed up a bit with a file.

Trimming the excess. I have since dubbed my clipper "Lord Tetanus". Obviously I made sure to not cut in this position as thats a perfect way to take an eye out. Protect yourself from flying bits please.
If you'll notice I carved a step into the cork for the foot to rest on.


I then mounted everything with a lot of superglue. The cork soaks up a lot of the superglue and in the process hardens the cork nicely :)

With the upper legs and torso resting on the base to dry I then proceeded to sculpt the arms.

Watch out for part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment