Monday, January 24, 2011

Project 365: Day 25 - Battle Report: First games of the year

5This past Sunday i was able to finally lay down some metal and chuck some dice with the guys at Fortress. It has been weeks since my last game and I wanted to see how rusty I've gotten. And there was rust, and much squeaking.

First game was against Wolf. We planned this rematch in advance, using the exact same list we had from our last Unstoppable Match.

Bakerofish (Circle Orboros - Kromac) vs Wolf (Legion of Everblight - Epic Thagrosh) @ 35 points.
Scenario: Incursion SR11




Now this battle was tense. We both had beast heavy armies with some support units. We also both had movement tricks (EThag's feat and Warpath for Kromac) and we both relied on hard hitting beasts for our offense.

Wolf's advantage was EThag's nasty feat (beasts get to make a full movement and make one free attack) and he had more warm bodies to throw at me. He had lesser and light warbeasts that move fast and hit hard. He also had Typhon and he was fixing to rectify his past mistake of not taking advantage of sprays. What I had going for me was a pretty good threat radius, a model that counterslams (Gnarlhorn) and the Warpwolf Triumverate.

The first turn was jockeying for position. By turn 2 and the scenario finally triggering we both made our moves. I took the gamble of putting my Feral down the middle and the other two wolves flanking. Gnarlhorn was on bodyguard duty making sure to always put a counterslam threat around my caster. I had to give him several threats now as I was wary of his feat. My initial plan was to make him commit to the middle of the table where Kromac can get an assassination run on the surprisinly squishy Thaggy. Wolf plays aggressive and I was counting on him not having any fury on Thaggy by the time he was done. I kept some fury on myself as I was gonna get hit by his feat next turn.

I took a beating on Wolf's turn, most of my beasts were wounded pretty bad and Wolf was able to get a Scythean, a shredder and a Theraph(Raek actually...-Wolf) to Kromac on his feat turn. EJ (one of the locals who was providing color commentary during the game) declared me dead. I had to agree. But then one of the things that me love this game happened.

Lady luck has the sweetest smile.

By rights I should've lost by that point but Kromac's defense 15(!), camped fury and incredible luck pulled me through. The Scythean WHIFFED!!! I couldnt believe it.

(edit: Wolf says the Scythean missed the gnarlhorn in front of Kromac. The Shredder that followed was the one that failed to hit. And he also shouldve made attacks with Raek)

I almost botched my kill turn as I totally didnt see one of his support models blocking my Gnarlhorn's lane to Thaggy. I also couldnt get an assassin run on Thaggy as he was too far away. Switching gears I then healed up my Pureblood and warped for Ghostly, charging towards Thagrosh to end him.

Close game. Good game. I was damn lucky.

Bakerofish (Circle Orboros - Kromac) vs aerolb(Cygnar - Prime Caine) @ 35 points.
Scenario: Incursion SR11

This is the game where Karma catches up to me.


Aerol had a shooty list with some longgunners, a hunter, a lancer and a centurion. He also had the Black 13th in the flank which I hate with a passion.

Since this was the scond game of the day it kinda was a blur to me. I remember being in a good position for most of the game ( I remember being cocky and actually saying "If you dont kill me now, youll die next turn...remember what I said about karma?) and Aerol's plan to slam my gnarlhorn  to knock me down failed pretty badly.

What happened over the next few turns was Aerol taking advantage of that complacency and me mismanaging my damage. Defense 15 didnt save me this time. The only beast I left open for transfers was killed by the centurion (damn piston spear) and I ended up eating a lot of shots. Embarassingly enough I actually lost to a Caine potshot :p.

This game, it wasnt luck (or lack thereof ) that did me in. I mismanaged and Aerol took advantage of that. He took out the advantages I had, he struggled but he was able to pull it off in the end. Another aspect of this game I love, even if I didnt win.

I dont think I've ever won against this guy.

Can't wait to get some more games in :)

To end this post, some pics of the denizens of Fortress:
Pantyman Fred! Store Overseer
Kim! I need to make a feature about this guy soon
I wasnt able to take a pic of EJ so I'll take care of that next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment