Saturday, January 15, 2011

Project 365: Day 15 - Rant - Performance Appraisal

We're supposed to be completing our Annual Performance Appraisal at work. I always find this process awkward and annoying. While I understand its necessary, what makes the process uncomfortable for me is that a part of the process is a "Self Assessment" - you're supposed to be reviewing how you performed in the past year and write down your goals for the next.

I really can't look at my performance objectively at all. At times i really just want to write down : "Yes I could've done more that past year but I really don't think you're paying me enough right now to get my 100%. No, I dont really have any goals for the next year. I'm happy with what I'm doing and I'm generally okay with what I get for the effort I put in. My bigger Goals really dont involve the company at all..." How could you say that without getting fast tracked out of the company? If I were a a manager I'd fire my sorry ass.

This year is whole new level of awkward because aside from all of the above, they're asking us to rate ourselves against a SCALE. 5 is the highest and 1 the lowest.

Really?

I dunno if they really thought this through because when I try to give myself a score the following thoughts come to mind:

5 -  "I dont think so..."Note : Your boss will always, ALWAYS have something negative to say about how you perform. If not, they shouldnt be your boss anyway

4 - " Hahahahahahahahahaha....PROVE IT!"

3 - "You're not putting enough effort into this appraisal are you?"

2 - "Why did we hire you again? Maybe we can get someone better"

1 - "This assessment isnt a joke, son..."

Urgh.

1 comment:

  1. You could write "5" and say you rounded up from 81%...

    ReplyDelete